Sustainable Ithaca: Applied Studies in Mediterranean Sustainable Development
ENVS 437P (10 credits)
WWU: Spring Quarter
Greece: June 26-July 10, 2013
WWU: August 1 - August 24, 2013
Explore Mediterranean architecture and culture while performing fieldwork on the small coastal Kioni Village in Ithaca, Greece. This hands-on study abroad program will treat students as entry-level professionals.
- Experience applied research in an international coastal community
- Live and work in a Greek Island village
- Work independently and in project teams to perform research and planning analysis of the case study community
- Develop alternative concepts for sustainable community development in an international context
- Identify community priorities and constraints through field research, interview and informal meetings with guest speakers
- Investigate sustainable economic development and tourism practices
- Learn to sketch architectural concepts quickly and confidently
- Create an illustrated project plan depicting village values and goals for sustainability
- Gain knowledge of local, national, European and global sustainability principles
This program consists of pre-departure research and course preparation, two weeks of intensive field work in Greece followed by an on campus component to produce final planning documents.
- Greece Home
- Program Details
- Cost & Registration
- Ithaca Slideshow
Learn more about this program:
Please contact us for more information.