Study in the Dominican Republic Spring Quarter 2013
Race, Culture, and Society in Latino Caribe
April 2-June 14, 2013
FAIR 337L (12 credits)
Join Dr. Larry Estrada from Fairhaven College's Interdisciplinary Studies to study in the Dominican Republic.
- Experience the rich history, culture and language of the Caribbean region.
- Examine the past and present context of how race and cultural fusion have been experienced among peoples in and from the Latino Caribbean.
- Explore how racial and cultural identities are complicated by questions of gender, class, religion and sexuality both in the Caribbean as well as those Latino Caribbean populations residing in the U.S.
- Study for seven weeks in the Dominican Republic
- Learn/improve your Spanish
- Examine the history, culture and politics of the region
- Explore women's health issues in the Latin Caribbean
- Interact with Dominican and other international students
- Take weekend cultural excursions
- Participate in a service learning project with Haitian-Dominico immigrants
- Witness environmental efforts in the National Park of Jarabacoa